Advances in personal technology are rapidly changing how we communicate and go about in our daily lives. And thanks to innovative researchers and product developers, the technologies and concepts behind smartphones and wearables are quickly being adapted to provide people with impaired hearing and vision with new opportunities in their everyday-lives.
Text-to-speech apps, for example, has made e-mailing and text-messaging accessible for people with limited or no vision, whereas video-calling has made it possible to communicate in sign-language across any distance.
But that’s only the beginning. Here are six exciting new concepts and products with an innovative take on using the new technologies to overcome some daily obstacles for people lacking the ability to see or hear.
1. Blitab – a Braille e-reader
2. MotionSavvy, the sign-language translator
3. Haptic footwear for the sight impaired
4. A guiding-drone for the running track
5. Adding a new sense with the VEST
6. A smart bracelet to increase independence and mobility